Wednesday, August 20, 2008

A Mean Meander Followed by Mildness

 
I can't concentrate properly on typing this when I can hear my maternal ancestor yakking on the phone. I miss having the entire house to myself. Haha. :p 

But anyway, lately, I've been ranting quite a bit about the lack of cultural stimulus and creation in this country. Literature, music, art, or film. Only smatterings that don't seem to rise above a certain level of quality.  When I was in Iceland, I saw that there was a flourishing publishing industry. The total number of Icelandic speakers in the entire world hardly rises above 300,000 individuals, and yet, they are able to sustain a literary scene, AND produce a Literature Nobel Prize laureate. Sunny litte Spore, with her overcrowdedness of 4.5 million people, is in an appalling state when it comes to literature. There was an article in the newspapers (All hail the oh-so-wonderful Straits Times) yesterday, I believe, about book circulation statistics for the National Library. It appears that what my fellow countrymen enjoy reading most are ghost stories. One of the most popular local writers is Russell Lee, who authors the True Singapore Ghost Stories series, which has been floating around since I was a kid. There's also this Mr Midnight series for children, which ranks right behind Harry Potter. If my memory serves me well, I think Mitch Albom's books as well as The Kite Runner were at the top of the adult fiction list. 

Oh, I am filled to the brim with trembling patriotism when I think of my beloved motherland and her glorious ethos of good grades, business, finance, and banking. Hooray! Let me conform! I want to volunteer for lobotomy and make the transformation into a reproducing drone~! \(^o^)/

-

Hmmm. I think that came out a little bit harsher than I expected. But whatever. Haha. I am filled with envy when I look at some of the Japanese creative industries - publishing, animation, and music. Ok, fair enough, wikipedia informs me that Japan has a population of 127 million. Hardly a fair comparison. But still. Also, books are dirt cheap there, and there is that lovely huge second hand industry. Oh well.

My two-year old mobile phone is starting to die on me. It was already at a certain stage of being handicapped, but now, the screen has displayed (haha) a tendency towards white-outs. Not good. I desperately want a clam/flip phone, and have something akin to brand loyalty to Nokia, but the only model that is a clam phone has yet to be releas
ed, and is bound to be rather pricey when it eventually is. Boo. 

I am now the proud owner of a 500GB external hard drive. Rather excessive, but since it only cost $10 (approx. £3+) more than a 320GB one, I decided to plan ahead for the future. :p

Another purchase I made that made me happy, was the August issue of Cure, which subtitles itself "Japanesque Rock + Visual Styling Magazine". As you can see, Ayabie are on the cover, and the photo shoot was done in a carnival/funfair setting. I read part of the interview, and at one point, they started talking about their various pets. Intetsu has a floppy eared rabbit! Haha.  



I think I'm going to have to sit around on my butt at home for the next few days to save some of the not-exactly green stuff. Oh wait, there's something called 'Studying for the Japanese proficiency test" which is supposed to be my primary occupation. 


I can't seem to get the formatting of images right. Grrr. Well, this is on the right, but I wanted it in the centre, and now I can't seem to change it. *shakes fist* Oh well. Anyway, it's a pretty pretty picture of a pretty pretty pick (yay, I score for my wide range of vocabulary!) from Intetsu's blog. Picture thief I am. 

By the way, the "ceiling fan" tag here shall serve as my tag for random-ness. 

Oh, and the picture right at the top of the post I snapped while walking back home yesterday evening. It was a nice and atmospherically (in both senses of the word?) overcast day. Also somehow managed to be drenched or splattered by too many raindrops while we were out.  

9 comments:

Becka said...

haha, Singapore is an Asian Geneva...
I do remember it as a very sterile and clean city! great shopping and food though...

Shall we elope to somewhere exciting together?

Nanzo Trillusion said...

Yup, it's the money laundering centre of the East as well. Haha! When was the last time you were here? Well, it's true about the food, and perhaps the shopping, but there's only so much of that you can do! Oh well..

Yes, let's elope!! Where do you want to go? I vote Japan (haha big surprise) or perhaps back to London. I'm hesitant to put Paris into the options because my French is non-existent. >.< Oh, I could use you as my portable translator! =D

Juno Spires said...

"Lack of cultural stimulus and creation in this country" - hey, what about Dawn Yang? I think she single-handedly manages to keep S'Pore at the cutting edge of the media with her ground-breaking blog entries and controversial observations on... um... the food she ate last night at the hotel she stayed in free-of-charge thanks to the publicity from her Playboy cover shoot. Yeah.

Why Nokia? I'm a bit anti-Nokia (no real reason behind it, just a feeling...), I always seem to end up with Motorolas.

Ooh, good luck studying for the test... when do you take it?

Nanzo Trillusion said...

Oh yay. You just reminded me of the wonderful Dawn Yang and her very public spats with that other cultural great and literary genius Xiaxue. I feel so comforted now.

-.-

Haha. Do you still read her blog? o.o I just took a peek just now and closed the tab after scrolling through a wall of pictures of her at a party. Urp.

Hmmm. I've always used Nokia phones ever since I had one, and they've proved good so far. Disliked Samsung extremely when fiddling around with other people's phones, and have heard a lot of bad stuff about Motorola. Apparently they spoil really quickly? I might consider a Sony Ericsson.

Thank you~! It's in early December, but I've still got stacks to learn!! :s

Lyca Enthrop said...

Nanny, (may I call you Nanny?), who is this Dawn Yang? I'm intrigued. And I think that you should start the Singaporean cultural revolution. I mean that the good way obviously. Set up a publishing industry and start brain washing more kids into being writers and artists. Should be easy right?
Now get back to studying!

Nanzo Trillusion said...

Haha, well, Nanny sounds weird, but I'll let you have your way. Don't you feel loved now? :p

If you key 'Dawn Yang' into google, you're sure to find your answer there. Urgh.

Hmmm. I don't think I'm the revolutionary leader type. I'd rather sit around and whinge.

Miss Anne Throp'ist said...

When I moved back home I so missed having the house to myself... (Living with the boy counts as being by myself in my head, clearly.) Solitude is so nice!

Lyca's idea of you spearheading the Sporean Cultural Revolution isn't a bad one, although I think you might want to think of rebranding- it doesn't have the nicest associations...

I do not approve of Mitch Albom.

Randomly one of my students was waffling on about comparative population sizes (he kept talking about Japan's particularly). He seemed to think I was some kind of bad Brit for not having a clue what the UK's population is. Hmm, googling tells me it's around 60 million. Probably I will have forgotten this in 10 minutes. I don't have a head for numerical trivia really.

Give up your brand loyalty, fight the system, get the clam phone you desire! I have a very pretty new phone (though not flippy), it even has 'Go fuck urself' carved into the back. Now that's style.

"Ceiling fan" sounds suitably random, and kind of reminds me of 'Puff the Magic Dragon' (probably because of the ceiling wax).

Pygmy and you should clearly elope to Seoul. All the ex-pats speak English!

Based on the comments I don't think I want to google Dawn Yang, but I love the way you explained the concept to Lyca. :P

Nanzo Trillusion said...

Sony just Ericsson launched a pretty new clam phone!!! Yay!!! Perfect timing! I was all ready to give up on the clam dream and buy a phone this morning, but hadn't brought my old phone charger, etc for the trade-in to get some money back, so didn't go through with the purchase. Yay for blessings in disguise!

Ooh, I wanna see your new phone! Maybe it could do a myspace thingamabob and take a picture of itself in the mirror. Haha. :p

Aww, "Puff the Magic Dragon" always puts me into melancholy. Stupid Jackie Paper. *shakes fist at him* Evil child.

I'm hopeless with numbers in general. :s

I kind of like some of those rousing Communist revolutionary songs though. Hmmm.

Miss Anne Throp'ist said...

Sony just Ericsson, 'ey? ;) You sound very excited! Now if only a camera would magically fall into my lap without me having to expend any effort...

Yeah, stupid Jackie Paper! I'm sure I was having a deep and meaningful discussion about the meaning of that song last weekend that was really interesting...but I now can't remember any of it. :s

Well what's better than a rousing revolutionary rhyme? Especially one sung to the tune of O Tannenbaum!