Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Oh to Be Able to Type in the Pool

Went for a swim just now. By the time I tumbled off the bed, had a cup of tea and some breakfast, went through my morning ablutions, and got myself organised to leave the house, time had already skipped into the second half of 11 o'clock. Getting to the pool at lunch time, possibly combined with a steely, dusty, fluffy threatening sky, meant that I had it all to myself, and it was nice to have a swim for the first time in more than a year. While loping along through the laps, I was struck with an interesting short story idea, and as I swam along, the sentences and images took form in my head and unfolded and unfurled and darted around. I even came up with an ending for it. As the words scuttled through my head, I couldn't help wishing that I could write it all down at that very moment, so as to not lose these sparks ricocheting off the walls of my skull. I really think that so much good (?) composition of mine is done in my head when I have no means of preserving it, and almost all of it gets lost in the murky depths of my mind as it leaps onto another source of external stimulation or decides to traipse down an entirely different thought avenue. I tried to keep the plot bunny alive and hopping in my mind over lunch and on the way back, but it inevitably drifted to less prominent parts of my brain (like how rabbits slowly make their way across the field in their shuffly, sniffly grazings). After hitting the power button of my laptop, my fingers decided to check up on the various sites that enjoy my just ever so slightly obsessive-compulsive checking and surfing, before finally starting up Word. All I've managed to produce is 98 pathetic words that cover a mere splinter of the grand plan that unravelled itself through my brain while in the pool. I'm using the same font as I did for my dissertation, and it is now triggering oh so lovely memories of sitting hunched before the glowing screen and staring that the Word Count That Refused to Budge. I am also being slightly hypnotised by my animated lj userpic.

Maybe I'll get back to trying to reproduce and preserve those swirls of inspiration.

3 comments:

Miss Anne Throp'ist said...

Oh word to all of this. Well less the pool part, because although I love swimming I kind of hate public pools, especially if they're quite chlorinated. But, yes to being struck by mad good ideas at exactly the wrong moment and then not being able to do anything when they fizzle away from you. Boo.

This is why we need instantaneous neural interfacing. And why it would be awesome if we never needed to do irritating things like sleep.

I do find though that when I actually force myself to sit down and type/write sometimes those ideas do come flinging back to me, seemingly from nowhere, but I still have a high percentage of "gah, I know I had this awesome idea but it went away and I'll never get it back" moments.

With stories actually I'm not quite as bad, because I'll just keep telling myself the story over and over again until it fixes in my head. Still it's generally a lot more interesting in my head than when I pen it. Instantaneous neural interfacing for realz, yo!

Nanzo Trillusion said...

Ah, I pretty much had the pool all to myself both times I've been so far. I think it's a combination of being a layabout (free when everyone's gainfully employed) and slightly insane/very lazy (only getting down there at lunchtime, when the sun is at its strongest). More than half the time I was the only swimmer, which is an amazing feeling. I prefer chlorinated water to sea water by far. I had the saltiness of the sea water, and was deathly sick from it once, hurling up and all after ingesting a bit too much of the stuff. =S Urgh. Artificial human-made chemical-laden water, please!

Yes yes! Instantaneous neural interfacing, please! Have you seen the Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within movie? It came out something like 8/9 years ago. There was a cool dream-recording system in there, if my memory serves me right. I want one. And I want it to be able to record my waking thoughts as well.

I spent almost every night for what must have been more than a year going over and building on a story idea I had when I was somewhere in the middle of teenage-hood, but now I can scarsely remember the details. Maybe my brain is just crap. >.< Haha!

Miss Anne Throp'ist said...

Ah, having the pool to yourself at least sounds nice. Yay for being an unemployed layabout! Still I don't think I'd like it that much, cholorinated water makes me feel ill. I love salt water! Maybe that's because I've never swallowed too much of it. Oh, I have a happy medium! Freshwater! *beams*

No I never did get around to seeing that FF movie, although I did want to. Was it good? I need some sort of device like that for definite!

I think that my brain is rotting away. Not only in terms of memory, I'm getting much stupider and I seriously can't spell. Bah.